How to Get Rid of Gnats
Thanks for buying this Bti, let's talk about how to get rid of your gnats.
Quantities to use:
Mild infestation: 1⁄4 Teaspoon per litre of water
Medium infestation: 1⁄2 Teaspoon per litre of water
Heavy infestation: 1 Teaspoon per litre of water
Can't see for all the gnats: 2 Teaspoons per litre
1. Measure the volume of your watering can, depending on size it may be 1L or 10L or somewhere in between.
(Volume of watering can in litres) x (Severity of infestation in Teaspoons) = Amount of teaspoons to add
2. Once you have added the amount of Bti, fill with water and let sit for 30 seconds. This will allow the granules to dissolve. After 30 seconds have passed, stir with a teaspoon a couple of times.
3. Depending of the amount of Bti added, the mixture can turn slightly hydrophobic, this means it will not be completely absorbed by the soil in the usual way (and will run out the drainage hole). So, to avoid brown liquid spilling all over your floor and furniture, ensure there is an ample sized container underneath the pot when watering.
4. Pour Bti mixture over top of soil and ensure all soil has been soaked. Do this to every pot in your house. Because the gnats are burrowed into the soil, you will not be able to see them, thus leaving patches of unwatered soil in a pot, or leaving some pots untreated, can create a harbouring spot for gnats to avoid the treatment and reinfect the treated pots.
5. For immediate effect, treat three times in the first week and then once a week for 4 weeks following this.
Depending on your watering cycle, this may not be possible, for instance watering chain of hearts or succulents this much would kill them, so just apply treatment when you would normally water. The drier dry soil of these species means there will be fewer gnats there anyway.
For really effective treatment, add yellow sticky fly traps to all your pots during treatment. This will mean that you are catching the adults and preventing them from laying more eggs, thus, when combined with Bti, is effectively managing the entire life cycle of the gnats. Replacing these traps every couple of weeks will also mean that you can track the reduction in gnat population in your plants :)
Will irritate the eyes and skin. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and open wounds. Do not inhale spray mist.
If poisoning occurs contact a doctor or Poisons Information Centre
(ph: 13 11 26).